Chemical engineering, Civil engineering, Mechanical engineering and Electrical engineering are regarded as the basic four branches…..Wow, Fantastic Four !!
Here is a list of Engineering branches and sub-branches :
1. Chemical engineering comprises the application of physical and biological sciences to the process of converting raw materials or chemicals into more useful or valuable forms.
- Biomolecular engineering
- Materials engineering —- • Ceramic engineering • Crystal engineering
- Molecular engineering
- Process engineering —- • Petroleum refinery engineering • Plastics engineering • Paper engineering
2. Civil engineering comprises the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and natural built environments.
- Environmental engineering
- Ecological engineering —- • Fire protection engineering • Sanitary engineering • Hydraulic engineering • Municipal or urban engineering
- Geotechnical engineering —- • Mining engineering
- Structural engineering —- • Earthquake engineering • Wind engineering • Architectural engineering • Ocean engineering
- Transport engineering —- • Traffic engineering • Highway engineering • Railway systems engineering
3. Electrical engineering comprises the study and application of electricity, electronics and electromagnetism.
- Computer engineering —- • Software engineering • Hardware Engineering
- Electronic engineering —- • Control engineering • Telecommunications engineering
- Optical engineering
- Power engineering
4. Mechanical engineering comprises the design, analysis and usage of heat and mechanical power for the operation of machines and mechanical systems.
- Acoustical engineering
- Manufacturing engineering
- Thermal engineering
- Vehicle engineering —- • Automotive engineering • Aerospace engineering • Naval architecture •
5. Interdisciplinary and specialized fields
- Agricultural engineering —- • Bioprocess engineering • Food engineering • Aquaculture engineering
- Biological engineering —- • Biomedical engineering • Genetic engineering • Biochemical engineering • Tissue engineering
- Protein engineering
- Building services engineering
- Energy engineering —- • Solar engineering • Wind engineering
- Industrial engineering —- • Manufacturing engineering • Component engineering • Systems engineering • Construction engineering • Textile Engineering • Safety engineering • Reliability engineering
- Mechatronics —- • Robotics • Instrumentation engineering • Avionics • Nanoengineering
- Nuclear engineering
- Petroleum engineering —- • Reservoir engineering • Drilling engineering • Production engineering •
Few definations which I came across-
An invention is a new composition, device, or process. An invention may be derived from a pre-existing model or idea, or it could be independently conceived in which case it may be a radical breakthrough.
Discovery can lead to invention. A specific, tangible application of discovery. What is discovered already existed; what is invented did not exist before. Invention results from creativity applied to discovery.
Discovery can also lead to innovation. Innovation is based on something already existing. Innovation is the novel application of something. It can be an idea, or a tangible thing . . . again, commercial or not. Much of the time innovation is the extension of invention. Innovation is also a product of creative behavior.
If you didnt get any of above sentences, lets make it simple.
Discovery is of something that is already present but not in knowledge of humanity whereas innovation is creation of something which doesn’t exist.
Thus, Invention: Creation of a new item. Discovery: Find something new that was otherwise already present, but not known to be present. Innovation: This is a change in the thought process for doing something or “new stuff that is made useful”.
All what this topic wonder around is understandability of concepts and creative mind.
Basics are something which are and has to be concentrated before going on for further studies. Lets have a look at defintions of Science, Engineering and Technology.
Science is the reasoned investigation or study of phenomena, aimed at discovering enduring principles among elements of the phenomenal world by employing formal techniques such as the scientific method. Engineering is the goal-oriented process of designing and making tools and systems to exploit natural phenomena for practical human means, often (but not always) using results and techniques from science. The development of technology may draw upon many fields of knowledge, including scientific, engineering, mathematical, linguistic, and historical knowledge, to achieve some practical result. Thus, Engineering = application of knowledge gained via science to solve a problem or meet a need. Technologies are not usually exclusively products of science, because they have to satisfy requirements such as utility, usability and safety. Thus, Technology = utilization of processes and products made via engineering, or the specific processes or products themselves. Wraping in one line- Engineering is cause and Technology is the effect.
To me engineering is designing and the structure/function of something… While technology is the usefulliness of that object in an applied world sense like in society….